Fish Oils Contain these Substances references
Although the composition of different products can vary, a typical Fish Oil capsule contains:
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: 33.44%. The profile of these are:
1. Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA): 12.04%
2. Clupanodonic Acid (Docosapentaenoic Acid) (DPA): 2.25%
3. Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA): 19.15%
- Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids (Omega-6 Fatty Acids): 3.06%. The profile of these are:
1. Linoleic Acid (LA): 1.9%
2. Dihomo-Gamma-Linolenic Acid (DGLA): 0.1%
3. Arachidonic Acid: 1.06%
Benefits of fish oils
The Cardiovascular System
- Fish Oils may counteract Arrhythmias ( irregular beats) due to due to their Eicosapentaenoic
Acid (EPA) content).
- Fish Oils may help to prevent and treat Atherosclerosis. Fish oil retards the growth of the
atherosclerotic plaque by inhibiting both cellular growth factors and the migration of
- Fish Oils taken as 3,600 mg per day may help to prevent abnormal Blood Clotting by lowering
plasma Fibrinogen levels
- Fish Oils may reduce the Pain associated with Angina and many Angina patients may be able to
reduce their dosage of Nitroglycerin while consuming Fish Oils on a daily basis. If taken as
1,080 mg per day, they may help to prevent Heart Attack and may help to prolong survival in
people who have already experienced a Heart Attack primarily due to the Omega-3 Fatty Acids
content of Fish Oils
- Fish Oils may help to lower Blood Pressure in (essential) Hypertension patients.
The Digestive System
- Fish Oils have been shown to reduce the rate of relapses in Crohn’s Disease patients.
- Fish Oils have been shown to prevent Gallstones.
- Fish oils have been shown to prevent Age-Related Macular Degeneration (ARMD) due to the
action of docosahexaenoic acid.
- It has been shown that pregnant women who consume the oils may have children born having
lower risk of allergies.
Studies indicate that taking high doses of fish for many years is associated with reduced risks of
breast and colon cancer. The studies showed that this was due to the n-3 polyunsaturated fatty
acids found in fish and fish oils. The oils also contain high levels of Omega-3 poly-unsaturated
fatty acids that have been shown to prevent prostate cancer.
- Fish oils reduce the absorption of dietary cholesterol and may reduce its synthesis within the
- The oils also help to lower elevated VLDL Cholesterol ( bad cholesterol) levels and inhibit its
- Diabetic patients may also benefit from these oils by having the levels of blood sugar lowered
- The oils also help to increase the sensitivity of insulin in diabetics
The musculoskeletal System
- Fish have been shown to help heal back pain. In a study to prove this, researchers recruited 250
patients with chronic back or neck pain that was deemed to be not treatable by surgery and who
had been using regular daily doses of anti-inflammatory medications such as diclofenac. The
patients were given a dose of commercially available omega-3 capsules to take as 1200
mg/day . In the study, 75% of the patients 1200mg and 25% took 2400 mg/day. After 75 days
of treatment with the oils, 59% of those returning their questionnaires had stopped taking
prescription medications for their pain, 50% said their overall pain had decreased and 60% said
their joint pain had decreased. In the study 80% of the patients said they were satisfied with
- The oils have also been shown to protect muscles from the toxic effects caused by the stress of
having intensive exercise.
- The oils have been used in treatment of rheumatoid Arthritis
The nervous System
- Fish oils have been shown to help prevent depression and Alzheimer’s Disease due to the the
- Fish oils that contain 800 mg of EPA and 500 mg DHA can be used to treat headaches
The sexual system
- In women with painful menses (dysmenorrhoea), taking fish oils with 1,800 mg of
Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) has been shown to be beneficial. The effect in reducing the pain
and menstrual cramps is due to the inhibition of production of prostaglandin E2, a primary
underlying factor in dysmenorrhea.
- Studies show that the oils may help prevent male infertility
- When taken as 3 grams per day, the oils may help treat pre-menstrual syndrome
- The oils are a good source of docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA), an important nutrient for optimal